February 10, 2012

More bites of the Big Apple


New York is, hands down, my favorite city in the world. I was born in Brooklyn, so I feel the city in my bones, but even without roots and history New York would top my great cities list. I can't get enough of it, and I'm overdue for a visit.

Having visited New York scores of times I've seen the obvious must-sees and done the obvious must-dos, many of them many times, each visit revealing new facets and aspects. (Your first visit to the Empire State Building might involve standing in the long line to take the elevator to the observation deck and taking in the mind-blowing view. Your second might be a slow perambulation and examination of the Art Deco lobby.)

I've also seen hundreds of more obscure, lesser known and less heralded spots around the five boroughs. The beauty of returning again and again to a place is once you've seen the Top Tens, the must-sees (I'll never call them cliched; if you haven't seen it, it's not cliche to you), then you're free, if you choose, to start digging through the rest of the place's rich layers.

There are things I do almost every time I go to New York: hang out in Central Park; people watch in Midtown; walk or run the Brooklyn Bridge; take in a Broadway show and the pulse of Times Square at night.

But I try to experience something new on each visit, too. Some still-to-dos include:

1. The High Line
2. An Off Broadway play
3. The Brooklyn Heights Promenade
4. Coney Island in summer
5. An afternoon in Harlem
6. Governor's Island
7. Walk the Williamsburg Bridge
8. The Morris-Jumel Mansion, Manhattan's oldest house
9. The Frick Collection
10. The Tenement Museum

www.LoriHein.com