January 24, 2012

My travel bucket list (and lots of links)

I feel blessed to have seen much of the world. My store of travel memories is so rich that if my traveling days ended today I'd be content with what I've been allowed to experience. Every moment, every sight, sound, taste, smell and sensation, was a gift.

But I hope, once Mike and I have paid the kids' way through college and wrested our finances from the clutches of heart-stopping tuition bills, that we'll be able to resume jetsetting. There was a time when we always had at least two sets of plane tickets paid for: tickets for an imminent trip and tickets for one a few months after that. I do miss those days, but putting two great kids through a great university is also a rewarding trip, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But it'll be good to hit the tarmac again, traveling light and on the cheap, to amazing places we've still to see. Sometimes, when I consider where I have been, and what I have seen, I'm amazed. I really did that? I really went there?

So where in the world would I still like to go? Given health, time and resources, here are 30 places (I could think of more) I want to visit, in no particular order:

1. The kingdom of Bhutan
2. Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania
3. The rock churches of Lalibela, Ethiopia
4. Egypt (click on Egypt in the sidebar to read about our two thwarted visit attempts)
5. Rideau Canal Skateway, Ottawa, Canada
6. Cape Town and Kruger National Park, South Africa
7. Namibia
8. The Great Mosque of Djenne, Mali, the world's largest mud structure
9. Sydney and Uluru (formerly Ayers Rock), Australia. (No, I will not climb it.)
10. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
11. Mt. Fuji, Japan
12. The Amalfi Coast, Italy
13. Goa, India
14. Shanghai, China
15. Cartagena, Colombia
16. Poland
17. Vietnam
18. Stockholm, Sweden
19. Angel Falls, Venezuela
20. Cappadocia, Turkey
21. Victoria Falls, Zambia
22. Botswana
23. Darjeeling, India
24. Puglia, Italy
25. Dubrovnik and the Dalmatian Coast, Croatia
26. Pagan, Burma
27. The Pitons, Saint Lucia
28. Denali, Alaska
29. Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland
30. The Milford Track, New Zealand

Feel like packing.

www.LoriHein.com