July 09, 2010

10 things I will never do on vacation

It's a phenomenon I think would make good fodder for some psychology student's doctoral thesis: why people on vacation do dangerous or scary things.

There's a whole travel industry niche out there that provides travelers with adrenaline-pumping, fear-inducing adventures. People pay big bucks and stand in long lines to do things that could make them panic, vomit, faint, crash or fall. And they take their kids.

Here are 10 terrifying tourist activities you'll never catch me doing. I will not:

1. Bungee jump

2. Ride, like these nuts at Iguacu Falls on the Brazil/Argentina border, in a rubber raft under giant, foaming walls of water. (If you assume I will never white water raft, either, you are correct.)


3. Rock climb

4. Stand on the clear platform that juts from the side of the skyscraper formerly known as Sears Tower
5. Stand on the clear platform that juts from the side of the Grand Canyon

6. Take a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon

7. Take a helicopter ride over Manhattan

8. Para-sail

9. Hang-glide

10. Take a cruise (Perhaps you've noted a pattern running through some of my won't-dos: fear of water, consequence of a near-drowning incident at Maine's Sebago Lake when I was 13. Cruising's out: I'd be the passenger wearing a life jacket 24/7.)

www.LoriHein.com