September 05, 2007

New York redux: Sleep cheap



With Rat's help, I fixed my blog problem (see last post, below).

The fix required deletion of my recent post on inexpensive (everything's relative) New York City hotels, as that post contained the errant HTML code that threw the blog out of whack.

I've reposted the story here -- hopefully sans stinky code:

Thanks to Mike's Marriott reward points, when I go to New York for the marathon in November I'll be staying free for three nights at a midtown Marriott. The value of my room on race weekend is $420 per night before tax, so I'm getting about $1,500 worth of free Manhattan hotel space.

The handbook for runners lists some half dozen high-end hotels -- usual suspects like Marriotts and Sheratons. And thousands of runners will cough up those establishments' $400+ per night in order to run New York.

Seems crazy to me. Were I sleeping in New York on my own dime I'd consider cheaper alternatives. Here are a few:

Radio City Apartments, West 49th Street -- the heart of midtown, near Radio City Music Hall. Not fancy, just functional. All units have a kitchenette, and it looks, from the pix on the hotel's website, that the bedspreads now match not only the curtains but each other, an upgrade since the last time I was there (it was Eastertime -- the kids were amazed when they woke up and found that "the Easter Bunny knew we were in New York and brought our baskets here!"). Studios start at $175 per night.

Beacon Hotel, 2130 Broadway near West 75th Street -- My friend, Carol, stays here whenever she's in New York. The Beacon's on the Upper West Side, close to Central Park, Lincoln Center and the American Museum of Natural History. Like Radio City, units have kitchenettes, and singles start at $220.

Seafarers and International House, Lower East Side -- This church-supported refuge provides lodging and services for seamen and ship crews docked in New York, but it also offers clean, simple accomodations to landlubbing tourists and travelers. Singles with shared bath start at $80.

The Pod Hotel, East 51st Street -- New. Offers sleek, small, stylish rooms from $139. Rooms measure only 10 x 12 feet, but you get an LCD TV, an iPod dock and free WiFi access.



LoriHein.com