January 02, 2005

Book proceeds to aid tsunami relief efforts

May 16, 2005 update: I will continue to donate book proceeds to tsunami relief through the end of May. The final donations will go to UNICEF's tsunami disaster fund. Thanks to everyone who helped a few more dollars find their way to people who need them.

Original post, Jan. 2, 2005:

First, thanks to everyone who purchased my book, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America, during the holiday season. Proceeds from each sale were donated to Boston's Pine Street Inn, a shelter and work skills facility that serves 1,200 people daily. Mike and I have supported Pine Street for 15 years as a way of giving thanks for Adam, born healthy despite his very premature appearance into the world. Your holiday book purchases allowed us to increase this year's contribution by 25%. The past month was also Ribbons' most successful since its publication, and I truly thank you for that.

Beginning today and continuing indefinitely, I will donate proceeds from Ribbons to four organizations involved in tsunami relief efforts. Both my book and this blog promote understanding through travel. It's an amazing world, but right now a staggeringly large piece of it needs help.

I will split donations among these organizations: American Red Cross; Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres; Save the Children; United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). One-third of Asia's tsunami survivors are children. (Jan. 6 update: Doctors Without Borders has received all the tsunami-specific funds it needs at this time. Donations will go to the other three organizations.)

I will donate either $1 or $2 per copy, depending on where you purchase your book. For books ordered through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other online booksellers, I will donate $1. I earn about $2 before marketing expenses on these sales. Because I earn slightly more on sales through my publisher, Booklocker, and on books purchased directly from me by mail or at personal appearances, I will donate $2 per copy on these sales. In addition to the paperback, Booklocker also offers Ribbons as an inexpensive, shipping-free PDF download, and I will contribute $2 from each PDF sale.

Links to purchase options, including Amazon sites in the UK, Canada, Germany, France and Japan, appear below. To read excerpts, reviews, and reader comments, please visit LoriHein.com. To order by mail (I'm happy to sign your personal or gift copies), send a check for $14.95 plus shipping (US $) to Lori Hein, 40 Williams St., N. Easton, MA 02356 USA. During this fundraiser, I will absorb some of the shipping costs, so $2 additional for shipping will get your book on its way to you. To schedule a free personal appearance/book signing for your group, church, shop, library or organization in the New England area, please email me or call 508-230-3766. I present slides from the American road, accompanied by excerpts from Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America.

Use these links to order online. To keep the flow of money going out to relief organizations, I will send donations in ongoing increments of $10 or more as I'm able to confirm sales. I thank you for your help, hope you enjoy the book, and appreciate your sharing this post with others: