November 01, 2011

Talk about a captive audience

I was dismayed to find, on a recent US Airways flight across the United States, that all the tray tables in economy had been turned into flying advertisements.

For six hours I ate, drank, read and played with my iPod while staring at a sprawling message touting the speed of Verizon's 4G network. Since the same advertisement was affixed to every table in the cabin, it was literally in my face wherever I turned. I saw it 108 times on my 18-row walk to and from the bathroom.

Soon pilots will announce final approach with "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain. We've begun our descent into Podunk Airport. To prepare for landing, please secure your seatbelts and return your billboards to the upright and locked position. Thank you."

www.LoriHein.com