May 07, 2009

The Dalai Lama's laugh

Turns out I could have taken pictures of the Dalai Lama at Gillette Stadium. Everyone had cameras. Everyone except me.

And what did I miss? I missed capturing His Holiness delivering his talk on "The Path to Peace and Happiness" while wearing a bright red New England Patriots cap. I'll have to content myself with memories of the Jumbotron images.

The Dalai Lama has a very endearing chuckle, a slow, deliberate "heh-heh-heh-heh-heh." Whenever he made a funny remark -- and he made quite a few -- we were treated to the "heh-heh-heh-heh-heh" over the stadium speakers.

In explaining the fine points of Buddhism's Four Noble Truths, for example, he said, "All of our problems are humanmade. They are manmade. And some problems are womanmade! Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh."

The college student beside me said, "He's so cute! Like a teddy bear. I just want to wrap him up and take him home to be my grandfather."

www.LoriHein.com