December 25, 2007

And so this is Christmas


This will be a short post. It's Christmas morning, and I have turkey to roast. The kids won't be up until noon, so there's time, but I'd also like to fit in a quick run to lose some of the salami, chocolate, deviled eggs and potato salad that I shoveled in at my mother's last night.

One Christmas in Girona, Spain, while the kids slept soundly, I laid awake watching the glow from colored lights in the street blink on and off against the walls of our high-ceilinged hotel room. The room had heavy, green metal blinds, but I couldn't get them to come down, so "Bones Festes," a Catalan Christmas greeting, flashed on and off in yellow and red and green above my head all through the night.

Bones festes.

And so this is Christmas, and what have you done?
Another year over, a new one just begun
A very merry Christmas and a happy new year
Let's hope it's a good one, without any fear.
War is over, if you want it, war is over now.
- John Lennon

Let's demand peace from our leaders in 2008.

Bones Festes.